MARADONA’s Hand of God, Gazza’s Italia 90 tears and England thrashing Germany 5-1 in 2001 are among football’s most iconic moments, according to a poll of fans.
A study of 2,000 football-loving Brits ranked England’s 1966 World Cup win as top of the pile, while Gordon Banks’ seemingly impossible save from Pele against Brazil in 1970 also made the top five.
Diego Maradona scored his infamous Hand of God in 1986[/caption]
Paul Gascoigne famously shed tears after the 1990 World Cup semi-finals[/caption]
England’s eventful clash against Argentina at France 98 provided two top 20 moments including David Beckham’s infamous red card, as well as Michael Owen’s incredible solo strike.
And Gareth Southgate, who was involved that night, will be hoping for better luck this summer as his penalty miss in Euro 96 also made the top 20.
Paul Gascoigne’s unforgettable strike against Scotland and Zidane’s headbutt in the 2006 World Cup final both also featured.
The research was commissioned by Uber Eats which has launched a limited-edition store on the app, selling classic football shirts and retro bundles to celebrate the long-awaited return of international football.
With more than half noting some of their favourite memories of all time are football-related, the study found 40 per cent of fans can’t wait to see what iconic moments this summer’s event provides.
And three quarters believe nothing beats the excitement and anticipation of an international football tournament.
Carried out through OnePoll, the study also found footy fans will watch more than 36 hours of football this summer – the equivalent of 24 matches.
More than a quarter will enhance the experience by donning the colours of their favourite team.
England fans will never forget this night in Munich[/caption]
CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH
Most read in Football
TRANSFER NEWS LIVE
Chelsea leading £56m Hakimi chase, Lionel Messi to Inter Miami EXCLUSIVE
RED DEVILS NEWS
Stunning £91m Jadon Sancho deal AGREED, Trippier £10m offer rejected
Italy vs Turkey team news, injury updates and odds as Euros get underway
Man Utd expect to sign Sancho after Euros as star agrees huge £91m contract
BECK SEAT DRIVER
David Beckham signs deal with Maserati to promote new £187k sports car
Top Euro 2020 strikers I've managed from Ronaldo and Kane to Lukaku & Benzema
And 46 per cent will make selected fixtures extra special by ordering a takeaway – with six in 10 intending to order pizza for major games.
Chinese or Indian were the other top options to treat themselves for a big night in – with an average of three people eating in, spending more than £46 on their favourite dishes.
To help supporters prepare for the Euros, Uber Eats has opened ‘Match Ready’ stores in London and Manchester until Sunday – offering items from classic shirts to pitch-scented candles.
A spokesman for the online food ordering and delivery platform said: “With the majority still looking to watch sport from home, ordering in a takeaway is certainly one way of adding some spice to the occasion.
“Although you can always rely on Uber Eats for a tasty takeaway, there’s so much more on the app to discover, from everyday groceries to classic football kits.
“These exclusive bundles, available only via Uber Eats, are perfect for those looking to enjoy the summer with a host of retro football goodies and classic shirt.”
Bobby Moore lifted the Jules Rimet trophy in 1966[/caption]
Fans will never forget David Beckham’s iconic free-kick against Greece[/caption]
TOP 20 ICONIC FOOTBALL MOMENTS
1. England winning the World Cup in 1966
2. Maradona’s Hand of God in 1986
3. Gazza’s tears in Italia 90
4. England beating Germany 5-1 in Munich
5. Gordon Banks’ save from Pele’s header v Brazil in 1970
6. David Beckham’s free kick against Greece in 2002
7. England losing to penalties v Germany in World Cup 90
8. Paul Gascoigne’s goal against Scotland in 1996
9. Zidane headbutting Marco Materazzi at the 2006 World Cup
10. David Beckham’s sending off against Argentina in World Cup 98
Zinedine Zidane unforgettably decked Marco Materazzi in 2006[/caption]
David Beckham couldn’t believe it when he was red carded for kicking out at Diego Simeone[/caption]
11. Michael Owen’s solo goal v Argentina in World Cup 98
12. Colombian goalkeeper Rene Higuita’s ‘scorpion save’
13. Gareth Southgate missing a penalty in 1996
14. Cristiano Ronaldo getting Wayne Rooney sent off in 2006
15. Pele winning the 1958 world cup age 17
16. Stuart Pearce scoring his penalty against Spain at Euro 96
17. England’s World Cup semi final in 2018
18. Iceland beating England in Euro 2018
19. Gazza being inches from the ball v Germany in Euro 96 to score the golden goal
20. Roger Milla’s goal and celebration at Italia 90
England’s last Euros match ended in misery against Iceland[/caption]
Gareth Southgate will be desperate to avenge his infamous penalty miss this summer[/caption]
Read our Football live blog for the very latest news from around the grounds