LOST an iPhone or had it stolen? You could consider erasing it completely.
It’s possible to do entirely remotely – scuppering thieves and snoopers from getting your info.
- Read all the latest Phones & Gadgets news
- Keep up-to-date on Apple stories
- Get the latest on Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram
Erasing your lost or stolen iPhone is an important way to keep snoopers out[/caption]
You’ll need to have an Apple iCloud account, and be the registered owner of the device in question.
But be careful: once it’s erased, you’ll no longer be able to use Find My iPhone to locate it or play a sound on it.
Apple Pay will be disabled on the device so people can’t make payments with it.
And if you do eventually find your device, you can still restore its info using a backup – if you have one saved.
You can use iCloud to remotely wipe an iPhone[/caption]
How to remotely erase an iPhone
Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- First go to iCloud.com
- Click ‘All Devices’
- Choose the device you want to erase
- Click ‘Erase iPhone’
- Enter your Apple ID and password
If the device is lost, you can also enter a phone number or message.
This will appear on the device’s locked screen.
If your device is online, the remote erase will start immediately.
And if the device is offline, it’ll take place as soon as it’s next online.
You can cancel a remote erase if you find it before it’s erased – but only if it’s remained offline.
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
- How to get your deleted Instagram photos back
- How can I change my Facebook password?
- How can I do a duet on TikTok?
- Here’s how to use your iPhone’s Apple logo as a BUTTON
- How can I change my Amazon Alexa voice in seconds?
- What is dating app Bumble?
- How can I increase my Snapchat score?
- How can I test my broadband internet speed?
- Here’s how to find your Sky TV remote in SECONDS
Most read in Phones & Gadgets
Microsoft reveals Windows 11 with Android apps and Xbox Game Pass access
Exact iPhone 13 release date 'revealed' – here's when you can finally upgrade
SOUND THE ALARM
Loud TERROR alert will blast from some UK iPhones and Android next week
Amazon Prime Day: iPhone 8 slashed to JUST £159 in amazing deal
iPhone owners urged to DELETE Google Maps immediately after new update
iPhone warning as these WiFi names CRASH your phone and block its internet
In other news, check out the most likely iPhone 13 release date.
This clever iPhone trick scans paper documents in seconds.
And read our guide to 5G here.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]