KAY Burley has hinted she’ll be off air again just two days after returning to Sky News.
The 60-year-old news anchor returned to work on Monday after a six-month suspension for breaching Covid lockdown rules.
But now she could be off the show again as one of her team has tested positive for Covid.
“Hi all, one of my hard-working team has tested positive for Covid. Please wish them better. I’ll see you soon x,” she tweeted tonight.
The Sun has contacted Kay’s representative for comment.
Kay apologised last December after “inadvertently” breaking restrictions to celebrate her birthday in London.
Wearing a powder blue suit and a big smile, Kay was clearly delighted to be back on air and told viewers as much on Monday.
“Hello everybody, it is great to be back. It is 7 o’clock here in the UK, welcome wherever you are – let’s crack on,” Kay said, keen to move on from the controversy.
But she did make mention throughout the show that it was her first shift back, saying at 8am: “Hi everyone, great to be back.”
It was a busy first day for the veteran news presenter who had to tackle big topics such as interviewing former PM Gordon Brown about Covid vaccines and the G7, Tory outrage over foreign aid cuts and the “exploitative exports of puppies into the UK”.
Last week, Kay quashed rumours she would not be returning to Sky News in an excited tweet that informed followers she would be back on screen from Monday.
Alongside a photo of her raising her arms while sitting on a sofa, she wrote: “See you on Monday. Hope you’re as happy as I am to be back.”
In December, Kay hosted a 60th birthday bash and said she was unaware of the Covid restriction changes, which saw London placed in Tier Two, and agreed to step back from her post following the mistake.
Vowing to take six months off air, Kay wrote in a statement at the time that she was having a “period of reflection” but would return.
She wasn’t the only Sky employee to be caught out breaking the rules – with correspondents Beth Rigby and Inzamam Rashid, who also attended Kay’s party, both taking three months off.
Kay expressed her great regret at throwing the party, writing to her fellow employees in an apologetic statement.
“Some dear friends and colleagues – some of the most talented and committed professionals in our business – have been pulled into this episode and I regret this enormously,” she said.
In December, she concluded: “I very much look forward to being able to continue my 32-year career with Sky when I return.”
During her hiatus, Kay kept busy working with The Sun’s Jabs Army by keeping control of car parking at a Covid vaccination centre in Harrow, North London.
Kay spent two days a week volunteering there, admitting she found her shifts uplifting.
Most read in News TV
Martine McCutcheon shares pic of bro & praises his success 'despite struggles'
Carol Vorderman, 60, shows off new skintight gym leggings in sexy mirror selfie
Katie Price hits back at mum-shamers & says ‘I’m sick of justifying myself’
TV STAR DEAD
The Bill's Ben Roberts who played Chief Inspector Derek Conway dies aged 70
Lauren Goodger shows off huge baby bump as she counts down to birth
Holly comforts political heavyweight Andrew Neil as he fights tears on show
“I often do the late shift marshalling the car park. I’m very used to being out in the cold for hours on end thanks to being a reporter, and I’ve been really enjoying it,” she told The Sun.
“I was asked by my doctor if I wanted to come along to help. So here I am. It’s such a slick operation.
“Often when people arrive they are quite nervous, and it’s my job to help them feel at ease.”
Kay has been presenting on Sky News since 2018, and moved from the afternoon news slot to the breakfast show in 2019.