I DON’T need an excuse to get baking, and it’s a great activity to do with the kids.
So this week I bring lemon muffins – a delicious treat to enjoy with a cuppa or even pack up in a picnic.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 13-15 minutes
YOU WILL NEED:
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1tsp baking powder
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g margarine or butter
- 2 lemons, zest of
- For the icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
Suzanne Mulholland’s recipes are so easy to follow[/caption]
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6, and line a 12-muffin tin with cases.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk or wooden spoon, mix it together until you get a smooth batter.
- Using tablespoons, transfer the batter into each case so they are ¾ full.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 13-15 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool before icing. If freezing, do not ice the muffins before you freeze.
- To make the icing, add the icing sugar into a mixing bowl along with the lemon juice. If the mix is too watery you can add more icing sugar, or if the icing is too thick add a tiny bit of water at a time until you’ve just a nice thick glossy icing.
- Once the muffins are cool, spoon the icing on and top with your favourite sprinkles!
Ready to freeze: If freezing, do not ice the muffins as it will go soggy. Freeze all the muffins in a reusable freezer bag and ice when you want them.
Ready to eat: Remove the muffins from the freezer and leave to defrost for around 45 minutes. Once fully defrosted, make up your icing and spoon on the top.
Most read in Fabulous
Harry 'DIDN'T ask Queen's permission for Lilibet's name but told her instead'
Meg was 'REJECTED for date by top England footie star before meeting Harry
Stacey Solomon’s teeth went brown and yellow then FELL OUT during pregnancy
GONE TO POT
I smoke weed around my kids and let them take days off school for mental health
Woman buys bedside tables at charity shop & is gobsmacked by note she finds inside
Harry & Jill Biden's close bond – they 'spend too much time' together
- The Batch Lady: Healthy Family Favourites (£20, HQ) is out now. Also see The Batch Lady Meal Planner (HQ, £9.99).
- Watch Suzanne prepare recipes at thesun.co.uk/batchlady.