PRINCE Charles is said to be “shellshocked” and “very hurt” by his sons’ bitter rift.
The Dukes of Cambridge and Sussex are coming together for the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue next week – but their feud is still a cause of anguish for their father, according to sources.
Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates
The Prince of Wales is said to be ‘shellshocked’ at the brothers’ rift[/caption]
Tension continues to mount between the brothers[/caption]
According to People, Prince Charles is privately devastated by Harry and William’s ongoing feud.
A friend of Charles said: “He is very hurt and upset [by the ongoing fallout],” adding that he feels “shellshocked by it all.”
And despite a promising reuinion at Prince Philip’s funeral in April, there “wasn’t any time to build bridges” between the brothers.
The source close to the royal household said: “Everyone was optimistic, but nothing really happened.”
“There was not really any time to build bridges.”
And after Prince Harry’s claims he was “cut off financially” by his dad would have “enormously hurt” Prince Charles, a royal expert says.
In his bombshell chat with Oprah Winfrey earlier this year, the Duke of Sussex claimed he had been forced to make deals with Netflix and Spotify after saying he had been cut off by the Royal Family following Megxit.
But Charles’ annual report, released by Clarence House last night, shows he gave the Sussexes and Cambridges a share of £4.45million.
At odds with his claims of being “cut off”, Harry was in fact handed a “substantial sum” by his “generous” father.
Penny Junor, Harry’s biographer, says his remarks would have upset his father.
“I’m not surprised Charles has given Harry money,” she said.
“He cares about his son and is a generous man.
“Why did Harry say he was cut off financially?
“Charles will have been enormously hurt by that comment. I feel sorry for him.”
This follows reports that when Prince Harry flies in from the US at the end of the month, one key family member won’t be about for about for a catch up.
In an unfortunate clash of the diaries, Prince Charles will be up in Scotland when his youngest son touches down on English soil ahead of the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue.
The Sun can reveal that there is currently no planned meeting between the Queen’s son, 72, and the Duke of Sussex, 36.
A source said: “Charles will leave the boys to it. Harry will need to quarantine for at least five days when he lands in England, most likely at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor.
“Charles has made it quite clear he will not be around beyond that because he is going to Scotland. There is no planned meeting between the three of them.”
The purpose of the duke’s UK visit is to unveil a tribute to his late mum in the grounds of Kensington Palace on July 1 – what would have been her 60th birthday.
He will put on a united front at the unveiling with his older brother Prince William, who he last saw in person at grandad Prince Philip’s funeral in April.
The brothers have been communicating by text amid a bitter fallout.
Most read in News
Furious anti-vaxx mum tells son to leave home after he gets his first jab
FROM THE DEEP
Pentagon 'has incredible photo of Black Triangle UFO rising from ocean'
'FROZE TO DEATH'
Dad whose partner died of pneumonia in ‘iceberg’ house SUES landlord
Face masks WILL go from July 19 as ALL remaining Covid restrictions are dropped
Couple die in suicide pact as they 'didn't want to go without each other'
Meghan & Harry 'rejected Earl title for Archie because it has the word dumb in'
Another source said: “There have not been any personal chats or proper talks, just a very brief and minimal exchange of text messages.
“The relationship is still very much strained and there’s no sign yet that there will be any sort of coming together any time soon.”