News

Queen's anguish: Fears for Philip’s health ahead of Oprah interview – ’Palace is baffled'


The Queen will learn more about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s own take about life in the Royal Family when the interview is aired on Sunday evening. Clips of the Oprah Winfrey chat have already been released offering a glimpse of the topics the Duke and Duchess of Sussex discussed. Royal commentator Nick Witchell told the BBC Buckingham Palace staff is “baffled and bemused” after Meghan Markle claimed royal staff has been “perpetrating falsehoods”.

Asked about the upcoming interview, Mr Witchell said: “Not great for somebody with a heart condition.

“I think it’s fair to say the Palace must be feeling baffled and, frankly, bemused by all this.

“What are the falsehoods that Meghan alleges The Firm has been perpetuating. Hopefully, Oprah Winfrey has pushed back and challenged her in the interview to say, ‘What are you talking about? What is the chapter and verse of these falsehoods that you say have been put about?’

“Only then, if she does spell it all out, will we really be in a position to judge the credibility and the substance of what it is she is alleging.”

The release of the latest Oprah Winfrey interview came hours before Buckingham Palace announced the Duke of Edinburgh is now recovering from a “successful” heart procedure.

JUST IN: Furious Queen finally loses patience with Prince Harry – ‘Reached a tipping point’

Prince Philip first travelled to hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell but he was spotted walking inside King Edward VII Hospital unaided.

On Monday, the Duke was transferred to a specialist heart unit at St. Batholomew’s Hospital to continue being monitored for a pre-existing condition.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Palace said: “The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital.

“His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days.”

READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘absolute nightmare’ to work for – insider hits out

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s interview will be broadcast on Sunday, March 7 in the United States.

ITV purchased the right to hair the talk on Monday evening but the state of Prince Philip’s health sparked speculation about the programme going ahead.

An insider told The Sun the interview “will be cancelled by ITV if Prince Philip’s health worsens.

DON’T MISS 

The two-hour interview is expected to mostly focus on the Duchess of Sussex and her experience as a member of the Royal Family, as a mother and as an activist.

Prince Harry will also be joining her to discuss the future of their Archewell organisation as well as the reason behind their departure from royal life last year.

One of the preview clips showed the Duke of Sussex talk about his relief at being able to support his wife and being with her.

He suggested one of the main reasons for the couple choosing to move away from royal duty was to avoid “history repeating itself” as he drew a comparison between their experience and Princess Diana’s.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button